I originally started eating low carb when my kids were little. During those years, I often would make separate meals each night. One meal for my husband and kids and one low carb meal for myself.
As my kids got older and our evenings were filled with homework and practices, it became hard to find the time and energy to make two different meals. Sometimes I could get away with making a meal that had a separate protein, vegetable, and starch. Then I would just leave the starch off my own plate.
Finding Low Carb Family Recipes
Even though this was before the Keto craze (think Atkins & South Beach), I realized I had a plethora of recipes at my finger tips. Websites like Allrecipes.com and Epicurious.com were filled with lots of recipes worth trying. Even better, in recent years many websites completely dedicated to low carb eating have popped up. Stay tuned for a list of my favorite low carb recipe websites in a future post & even more in my newsletter.
My Kids Favorite Low Carb Meal
The all time favorite low carb meal in my house is a play on an asian favorite: the Egg Roll. Even though it’s missing the fried shell, this deconstructed egg roll dish still maintains all the delicious flavors of its classic cousin.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Ground pork, beef or turkey
- Cole Slaw salad mix
- Rice Vinegar
- Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- Sesame Oil
- Sesame Seeds
- Sriracha Sauce
Tips for Making Deconstructed Egg Roll
My family likes when I make this recipe with ground pork. I find that the pork maintains more moisture than when I use turkey. But similar to turkey, I don’t have to drain any fat like I would with beef. However, all three types of ground meat taste just as good!
I’m usually supervising homework around dinner time. So to save time, I like to use jarred, minced garlic & ginger. I also keep pre-diced onion in my freezer that I can easily measure out and throw in.
To avoid getting distracted and over cooking anything, I measure out all the sauce ingredients into a pouring cup before I started browning anything. Since I discovered coconut aminos, I prefer using it over soy sauce. It has less sodium and lower omega-6 than soy, which is better for my autoimmune issues. It tastes so similar, my family doesn’t notice the difference.
Try out the recipe and leave me a comment! Let me know what your family thought and any changes you decided to make?
Low Carb Deconstructed Egg Roll
- 1.5 lbs Pork, beef, or turkey ground
- 1 bag Cole slaw salad mix
- 1/2 cup Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic fresh minced or 1 tbsp jarred
- 2 tbsp Ginger minced or 1/2 tsp powder
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce or Coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil split in 2
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce (optional & to taste)
- Brown the meat in 1/2 tbsp of the sesame oil and reserve the other 1/2 tbsp for the sauce. Add the onions and 1/2 the garlic to the meat halfway through browning. Drain excess fat, if necessary. In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sriracha, and remaining sesame oil & garlic. Once meant is browned, add the bag of cole slaw and the sauce. Stir & cook for a few minutes until the cabbage is tender (taste best if not overcooked). Top with sesame seeds and serve.